Satellite
  • Day 4

    Sintra

    October 18, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    A fresher day and evidence of rain passed. We headed down a few steps then along to Rossio station where we caught the 09.41 train to Sintra. It was packed and one side was so covered in graphiti we could not see out. There was a big queue to exit the platform, then hoards of drivers offering tours of all kinds.
    We meandered along a level terrace, dotted with sculptures of various kinds, past the community gardens, fountain in moorish style and up to the Palácio. Queue was modest and the Palace well worthwhile with many tiled decorations and painted ceilings, and including a semi-outside cool pool area. The palace boasts kitchens with enormous conical chimneys.
    We bought lunch from a bakery and naturally included pasteis do nata. Delicious.
    The village was hilly and the tourist shops all very similar. The post office was worth looking inside for the tiled decorations. The gardens on the way back though were very interesting , containing a rinque with stone seating built on the hillside and affording views through the trees. The day became a little brighter and was really sunny again by the time we returned to Rossio and then the apartment for tea.
    Later we are meeting Carol and Miguel for dinner.
    Read more