Satellite
  • Day 4

    Mountain Heavens

    March 5, 2020 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    We awoke more or less in one piece and able to walk after the exertion of the day before.
    At 09.30 we set off for the botanical gardens 5km away. We joined a group from South Carolina, escaping the cold they said, on an electric buggy tour. The driver was most knowledgable and gave a thorough detailed tour of gardens that date back to Victorian times with many trees planted by visiting world leaders. The gardens were used as a means of trying out plants from all over the world for commercial exploitation.
    From there we took the road to Nuwara Eliya stopping along the way at Storefield 1930 tea factory for a tour and tasting. One of the machines was made in Belfast in 1936 and is still running.
    Further along we stopped for buffet lunch overlooking a waterfall. Much easier than walking! J’s Lion beer was frozen so we shared one!
    The road wound through tea plantations and then market gardens with some fabulous produce on sale at the roadside.
    Arriving at Mountain Heavens was amazing perched with fantastic views over little Adams Peak with infinity pool that had to be tried. By the time we went to the bar before dinner mist had come in and cut out all views. It will be interesting to see what there is to see in the morning. We can hear the railway though.
    Read more