Satellite
  • Day 157

    Coober Pedy

    May 13, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We've been noodling! Found a couple of opal chips at the public noodling area...don't think we can retire yet though.

    Stayed 2 nights at Coober Pedy at the Oasis Caravan Park. We picked this park because it has 6ft barbed wire fencing and gates are locked at 10pm. Theft is pretty rife in this place and the other parks all have issues. Thankfully we had no problems during our stay.

    Spent an afternoon driving through the Breakaways and continued on to the Dog Fence and Moon Plains where Pricilla Queen of the Desert and the Mad Max movies were made. We then drove back to the Breakaways and had drinks and nibbles whilst viewing the sunset. Other highlights included Umoona Mine and Museum, the Catacomb underground church, Fayes underground house, Josephine's kangaroo orphanage and the golf club.

    Water is precious in Coober Pedy, and we found it interesting that they have a public water filling station in the main street, similar to a petrol bowser, where you insert a $1 coin per 30 litres of water. We used this to top up our van tank before leaving for Ayers Rock. Even the caravan park had meters in the showers...20c for 3 minutes!

    Getting warmer as we head north 10 - 26°
    Read more