Satellite
  • Day 229

    Cape Range N.P.

    July 24, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Wow - This week has been one of the highlights of our trip! This place is magnificent! Not only have we been swimming with whale sharks, we've now done the "Turquoise Bay Drift". It's a beautiful snorkling location at Turquoise Bay, where the currents produced by the tidal forces escaping the reef lagoon make for a fantastic drifting snorkel experience. After walking about 500m up the beach, we entered the pristine blue waters, swam out and slowly drifted back down across the reef before swimming back to shore just before the currents swept out to sea through the gap in the reef. For a couple of novice snorklers this has been an exhilarating experience and one we won't forget.

    We visited Turquoise Bay every morning at high tide and did the drift snorkel several times. Each time offered up a different experience including swimming with the largest turtle we've ever seen, sting rays, every kind of reef fish and of course beautiful coral.

    We stayed at Osprey Bay campground ($20 pn) which is right on the beach. It's so windy here it would blow a dog off a chain and we had to tape up the fridge vent so the wind wouldn't keep blowing out the pilot flame. Apart from that, a beaut campground that we had to book online many weeks prior to get in.

    Highlights too many to mention...

    Beautiful weather 15-27°
    Read more