Satellite
  • Day 2

    Cartago

    December 29, 2017 in Costa Rica ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Discovering Cartago

    The next morning I was woken at 8.00 a.m. by ABBA's Dancing Queen coming out of the kitchen where Brenda's mother was preparing the breakfast. As if the music was not enough as an alarm clock, ABBA was battled by Major Tom with a disco bass and cinema speaker quality from the neighboring house. Welcome to Latin America: Super loud music everywhere and at any time! The funny thing is that you would expect Spanish music instead of English..The breakfast this morning consisted out of the dish "Tamale". Tamales are a traditional Tico Christmas specialty, but many tipico restaurants serve them year round for the tourists. But they were already familiar to me because I ate them before in Ecuador. They are made of corn masa or dough, which is steamed in a banana leaf. The wrapping is discarded before eating. Tamales can be filled with meats, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, chilies or any preparation according to taste. After this delicious breakfast we went up the mountain to the "Mirador Rosi" from which you have an amazing view over the city Rosi, the mountain side and the river. It is a very tranquil, relaxing and peaceful place where families and friends meet to have a picnic or barbecue. This spot is more than recommendable and by the way accessible without paying any entry. After our trip to the mirador we went through Cartago's city centre. Amongst other buildings, we passed a ruin which once used to be the old basilica but which one was destroyed during a earthquake years ago. Inside of the ruin one can find a park-like ambience and in the end of the basilica some animals like rabbits, chickens, a cow and a manger. In the evening it was time to continue the journey. Brenda, her cousin and I went by bus to San José to visit her friend's house party. Her friend lives right next to all the bars and clubs: a long party night was inevitable!

    Qué viva la fiesta!
    Read more