Satellite
  • Day 1

    Walla Crag

    August 2, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    AMAZING VIEWPOINT ~ WAINWRIGHT SUMMIT

    WOW! Standing at only 379m on the OS map you wouldn't expect that much from such a small peak in the Lake District.

    An ascent from the lively town of Keswick via Castlerigg takes only a comfortable hour and with such low altitude in comparison to the surroundings you wouldn't even need a good day weather wise to benefit from the views awaiting you at the Summit.

    You will be greeted with a full 360 view looking over Derwent Water & Bassenthwaite Lake with the Skiddaw range complimenting the northern edge of the lake district followed with the forefront of the western fells, Catbells, Maiden Moor, Causey Pike & Whinlatter to name a few.

    If you time this hike to perfection and with a nice weather forecast to accompany you are sure to witness a magnificent sunset.

    After all that excitement you've got an array of choices, you can carry on with a slight ascent towards Bleaberry moor or you can descend one of 2 ways, one of which takes you down through the heather laidened moor into classic lakeland bracken with the sound of crashing water making its way down from the fells towards Derwent Water via the picturesque and famous Ashness Bridge.

    Depending on your timing you will either get this beautiful scene to yourself where you can perch yourself on a rock right beside the fast flowing stream and maybe even have a picnic or you will be in the middle of a full scale tourist attraction unable to find yourself a spot so that you won't be spoiling the moment that a patiently waiting photographer is wanting to take the perfect shot of the iconic bridge and views beyond.

    From here again you are given a multitude of options, you can carry on upwards towards a gap in the trees named rather blatantly "Suprise View" that overlooks Derwent Water (this viewpoint is literally nature's very own photo booth)or you can head down towards the water's shoreline by following the road or through various woodland paths.

    Once at the waters edge, again options are plentiful, head around the water further on foot via a well marked route or catch a rather unique form of transport in the Derwent Water Jetty taking you either clockwise or anti-clockwise around the water where they're are a number of other jetty stops allowing you to explore further, all of which finally end back into Keswick.

    Once back at Keswick it would be a massive shame to miss out a visit to the main high street and market area all of which boast excellent bars and proper pub grub!
    Read more