Satellite
  • Day 43

    Port Hedland

    August 4, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Arrived and got straight into touring the area, started with a twilight tour around the town and outskirts getting the information on the wharfs, mining companies, transport and associated facilities.

    Watched a bulk carrier being brought into port at sunset. Watching their precision skill in docking is amazing.

    It usually takes 45 minutes to dock a ship normally but they have the only vacuum docking system and it takes 45 seconds, wow.
    They can only leave on a high tide as they only have minimal bottom clearance when fully loaded.

    Enjoyed a cold beer and wine at sunset.

    Day 2
    Did a little self touring today and visited, Pretty pool park, Cemetery Beach park (both great places for BBQ’s or picnics), Koombana lookout and Redbank bridge lookout and Cooke point viewing platform (just outside our caravan park.

    We also did the Seafarers Harbour tour today and learnt the history and what they actually do, they provide a daily launch service for the crews of the ore carriers that brings them ashore do they can enjoy time off the the ships.

    Really amazing details on the amount of ore and minerals being transported into port by trains (each train has 2 locomotive engines then 134 ore cars, 2 more engines and 134 ore cars) that gets shipped out around the world.
    That is 37,500 tonnes of ore at a cost of $90,048,000 every day and that is just BHP only

    The photos show an update of all port movements ad the are happening and also who owns which wharves and where the are.

    Had a nice afternoon walk on the water front and spotted turtles, a nice surprise to end the day.
    Read more