Satellite
  • Day 8

    Impressions of Slovakia

    December 23, 2019 in Slovakia ⋅ 🌧 5 °C

    It’s our last day in Slovakia and after visiting many, quite different places and meeting interesting people, this place has made a very positive impression on us.

    The language was the first thing that struck us as being unlike anything we’d expected or experienced before. It’s also spoken rather fast with seemingly much punctuation. However, it’s been the people we’ve met and of course our family that have helped us with this. A shout out to my 7 year old nephew and his mum Marta for teaching me (Guy) some of the points of proper pronunciation.

    The scenery here is simply stunning, even in winter. There is so much to see and as they say, a new view around every corner. It would be lovely to see this country in summer or autumn.

    The culture is deep, authentic and still alive. In the country, it seems every house has hens, a plot for potatoes and vegetables and room for pigs. Also, everyone has skills in everything you would need to make, create, cook and repair almost anything. This is normal. Also is the link between church and community. Community, and particularly family in Slovakia is everything.

    Above all, this trip has shown that Slovakia has the capacity for amazing hospitality and friendliness. We have experienced this from family, which you would expect, but also from more distant relations who have been very open to hosting us or talking with us or even just greeting us at the shops.

    This is definitely a place to return to, soon. Maybe we’ll even get here in the summer next time.
    Read more