Satellite
  • Day 22

    Dublin Days

    January 6, 2020 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We arrived here in Dublin on Sunday from Copenhagen. Our hotel is located not far from the city centre on the south side. We had arranged to travel out to Navan on Monday to meet up with Narelle and Eamon but as both of us had colds and we feeling pretty tired, we decided to stay in Dublin to get some errands done (including washing) and just have a wander around. Guy went to the Dublinia museum in the afternoon and we had dinner at a pub (The Hairy Lemon) that night where they had a traditional Irish music group playing.
    On Tuesday we had a bit of a self guided walking tour of the city centre, learning a bit of the history of the Irish republic. Due to some rain, we went to the movies in the morning (Star Wars) and then took a tram out to Kilmainham Gaol where many political prisoners were executed and even the former PM of Ireland was once locked up. That evening we had another pub dinner (The Old Storehouse) and some Irish music, this time a ballad singer.
    Wednesday we had booked a bus tour for the day to Glendalough and Kilkenny. It was a wonderful day weather-wise as we had good visibility and no rain. The guide took us to St Kevin’s monastery and then we could walk to Glendalough. After this a farmer gave us a sheep dog demonstration with his border collie Maggie. We drove on via the Wicklow mountains towards Kilkenny. Here we took a guided tour of the castle. After a big day we had a quick dinner in the Temple Bar area and walked home to the hotel.
    Today is Thursday and we will be flying to London at around 1pm.
    Read more