Satellite
  • Day 3

    Rural Battambang

    March 8, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    After a rough 5 hours sleep due to jet lag still lingering, it was a 6.30am wake up for a 20km bike ride around Battambang and the rural areas to give an insight to how the locals live and their specialities.

    The first stop was to observe how rice paper was made, followed by being taught how to make a spring role using the paper and supplied fillings such as vegetables and shredded chicken. It was delicious and proud to say I claimed the prize for the best rolled spring roll! The next place we tried a variety of bananas and the different ways they were prepared and cooked. Everything made was delightful and the family who made it were extremely talented. Our next destination was a slightly more acquired taste, trying Cambodia's version of wine which tasted very strong and something I would drink with speed rather than sip on happily. Some of it was even being flavoured with fruit or snakes... (interesting choice). The last stop was full of fruit, having a coconut waiting for each of us and then fresh local fruits which I could eat for days! There was the most adorable child in a full Spider-Man costume who took centre stage for most of the stop, showing everyone his James Bond moves and toy guns. Throughout the journey we also stumbled across a typical Cambodian wedding, just taking in the sight of it was an experience in itself.

    On returning back to our start point it's safe to say that there were parts of my body hurting that I didn't even know existed. Despite this, a special shoutout has to go to our two tour guides who were amazing. One I had a lovely chat with called Pum who was only 19 and it was amazing to compare our experiences being at the same stage in our lives.

    Knackered and very sore, there was a group decision to have an afternoon rest which was certainly needed and I've never been so grateful to have a lie down.

    Dinner was street food at a mighty cost of $1.25 which continues to show a lot of promise for my bank account.
    Read more