Satellite
  • Day 1

    Ho Chi Minh

    April 2, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    With one country down, today was the day I headed to my next destination, Vietnam. Having heard so many good things about this beautiful country, I was excited to be moving on, despite the sad departure from Cambodia.

    After patchy sleep and being exhausted I made it to my 8.30am bus to Ho Chi Minh. I was sat to a very nice Cambodian, who attempted to make conversation with a very tired me. I felt awful that I couldn't be more of a joy to sit next to but I think my previous week had taken its toll.

    Having slept most the journey and experienced my first border crossing of my trip, I arrived in Ho Chi Minh at 4pm and wow it's a hectic city. First time crossing the road took at least 5 minutes and I'm hoping I make it out the city alive. However, I made it to my Hostel and checked in for the night. Having money to sort out, I made that a priority before I could enjoy myself and snoop around the shops.

    My hostel being located in the centre of town was perfect, being near various shops and the main market. My dinner was street food, adding up to a huge total of $1 as well as treating myself to ice cream which was freshly made (also $1). Eating for this little money has already made me fond of Vietnam.

    However, the market certainly sells questionable food, I saw crocodile being cooked in front of my eyes,
    something I haven't braved to try yet.

    After a very long day and being extremely tired, tonight is a rest night and the rooftop above my hotel is the ideal spot for this. Despite not having met anyone yet, it's quite nice to observe the city from my point of view and really take in the sights I'm seeing.
    Read more