Satellite
  • Day 2

    Vang Vieng

    May 4, 2017 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 37 °C

    After a relatively short bus ride we arrived in Vang Vieng. The first impressions of the town weren't quite as we expected and we became a little hesitant as to how our time here would actually be and whether our planned 5 nights would be too long. However, needless to say we were proved very wrong. Having arrived mid afternoon there wasn't really time to any of the touristy activities so we just decided to wonder around the town and check out what was there. Walking around we stumbled upon a place that plays Friends episodes back to back with sofa benches and tables and it was all free to just go sit for an unlimited amount of time. Looking so inviting, we couldn't refuse staying a little while and 4 hours later ended up leaving.

    For the evening we met up with Annabel, one of the 3 girls we had met in Vientiane. Realising she was afraid of heights, she decided to visit Vang Vieng as the other two girls wanted to the Gibbon Experience up north where you spent 3 days living in tree houses and zip lining around the jungle. For dinner went out to recommended Mexican restaurant and enjoyed a yummy burrito and nachos.

    Next up was the bar with free Laos whiskey (interesting drink) from 8-9pm, the following hour was spent moving on to the next place which served more free whiskey 10-11pm. With free alcohol Vang Vieng had truly won us over, it clearly realised we needed help with our budgets.
    Read more