Satellite
  • Day 15

    A chilly day in Paris

    December 29, 2016 in France ⋅ 🌫 -1 °C

    A bit of a late start today, let the kids have a sleep in. Dave and I walked down to the bakery to pick up a baguette and croissants for breakfast. We had a bit of entertainment out our window this morning, a guy hanging in the trees giving them a trim. We headed into the city by metro, had a problem with our tickets. Kellie's was the only one to work. We found out after, Dave had put them in his mobile phone and this does something to them - it was ok in The Netherlands and Germany. Luckily they replaced them for us. We decided to go on the hop on hop off bus as this gives you a good overview of the city. Well to say the least we were frozen in our seats. Don't be fooled by the pictures of blue sky & sunshine. I saw the sun at one stage I really thought it was the moon as there was no warmth coming from it. Unbelievably cold! Dave was shivering that's how cold it was. We hopped off near the Eiffel Tower for a coffee but it was so expensive around there we just had a look around. By the way the Christmas markets are still on here. We looked at the ones at the Eiffel Tower, we had our bags checked before we could go in. It is the same under the Eiffel Tower. In 2013 we just wandered around there. We hopped back on the bus & went back into the city and eventually found a place to eat. By this time it's about 3pm. From there we went on a Seine river cruise which left at 5pm so it was just getting dark. Once again we had our bags checked. A metro ride (2) back to our apartment, on the walk home we found a butcher selling rotisserie chickens and roast potatoes, so that was tea. Along with a french red wine & a warm apartment we have thawed out.
    Photo 1 - Enlarge to see the guy hanging in the tree
    Photo 2 - Notre Dame
    Photo 3 - Arc de Triomphe
    Photo 4 - Us frozen in seats but still smiling
    Photo 5 - Christmas Markets at the Eiffel Tower
    Photo 6 - Eiffel Tower at night
    Read more