Satellite
  • Day 26

    Day out at Murano & Burano

    January 9, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    Sunrise is late here in Venice which makes it hard to get moving in the morning especially when its -2 outside. We decided to head out to the islands to have a look today. Our apartment said today would be our best day but once again the clouds came in about 10am. We caught the water bus out to Murano first, this is famous for it's glass work. It was a little chilly as the sun disappeared. We had a cuppa to warm up. The kids had hot chocolate and it's completely different from home. It is really thick and rich looking and not made with milk. After a cuppa we visited the glass musuem and then had lunch which was more pasta. It was nice but not as good as what we have had. After lunch we caught the water bus to Burano which is well known for its lace and colourful houses. This is why we wanted the sun to take photos of the houses. Well they were bright without the sun. The main income for Burano is fishing and is often covered in heavy fog, hence the brightly coloured homes for the fisherman to find their way home. It's not a very big Island but it was just delightful walking around the canals and looking at all the houses. The lace museum was closed today, which Brodie was pretty happy about, but he was the one who wanted to visit the glass museum. By now it's 4pm and the night air is coming in so we headed back to the water bus as it takes over an hour to get back to Venice. On our way back we saw the most beautiful sunset at 4.30pm. I have never seen such a bright pink sunset and was surprised to see the sun setting as we hadn't seen it since 10am. We didn't feel like we did much today but we are all tired and won't be long out of bed.

    Photo 1 - Venice at 10am
    Photo 2, 3, 4, 5 - Burano
    Photo 6 - Sunset over Burano, the bright pink came later
    Read more