Satellite
  • Day 27

    Snowflakes and canals

    January 10, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    I went out early this morning to take some photos. I was surprised how busy it was with workers around the city. We had a friendly cat near our apartment then later we saw the same cat inside a bookstore near us, so of course the kids had to go in and give it a pat. Today we had no plans except to wander the streets. We went to the fish markets- always interesting looking at all the different seafoods. It is also fresh fruit & vegetable markets and specialty food shops. We stumble across a butcher shop that only sold horse meat. (No Annette I wasn't that hungry). Kellie wasn't impressed. It was cold today, as we were walking we had light snowflakes falling on us. It was time for a coffee to warm up, after we come out the sun was shining. It is amazing how much warmer you feel with the sun out. It didn't last long though. The pigeons in Italy are extremely friendly. Here in Venice you are nearly tripping over them. Then they fly straight at you and you have to duck out of their way. We saw some walk into a chocolate shop. After a bit more of wander we headed to a restaurant that our host recommended. When we found the restaurant the menu was mainly seafood that we don't eat and a little pricey. So a bit more walking until we found something else. We all had pasta again as we leave Italy tomorrow. We walked a bit more and got some supplies for tonight and tomorrow. It was only 3.30pm but the night air had come in. It is warmer at 7am than 3pm. As our apartment is very central we rested for a 1/2hr before heading out to look for the sun setting. We didn't find it, perhaps it was too overcast today. We strayed into a very expensive street. Had fun gasping at the prices. On our stroll back we found a bakery and a fruit & veg shop right around the corner of our apartment. I wished we found that on our first night. We are now tucked up in our apartment drinking our other expensive bottle of wine, so we don't have to cart it around any further. Well, good excuse to drink it.

    Photo 1 - Fish Market
    Photo 2 - Butcher shop
    Photo 3 - Pigeons in the chocolate shop
    Photo 4 - Cat in the bookstore
    Photo 5 & 6 - Canals of Venice
    Read more