Satellite
  • Day 31

    Magical day in Germany

    January 14, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    After two nights of sleeping all in one room it is good to have our own space again. We didn't start to surface until 8am. It looked cold and miserable outside. Dave and I walked across the park to the bakery. On the way home it started to snow, we got very excited as it was heavier than we had seen before. After our German breakfast we planned to head out of town to Bamberg. We bought a travel pass, but we had to buy a seperate one for Kellie as she was over 18. It cost the same amount as the pass for the 3 of us. As we can use it again on Sunday we decided to go to Rothenburg. The Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas shops are there and are not open on Sundays. The train out there wasn't for another hour and a half. Kellie & Dave worked out another way to get there. It was an enjoyable trip with 3 changes of trains, a lot easier without luggage. Brodie was excited as there was snow everywhere and it was getting thicker as we went on. We walked into the old walled town and by this time it was 1pm, time for lunch. It always takes a while for us to find somewhere to eat that ticks all our boxes. It started to snow again and it was just beautiful. We had a lovely lunch, pork schnitzel, which is like eating chicken. While we were eating lunch the snow got heavier. I can't put it into words how it felt sitting there eating lunch while it was snowing outside. 'Magical'. After lunch we had a look in the shops and we went into one of the six Käthe Wohlfahrt shops and wow it is beautiful. It would be like how I remember the Magic Cave as a kid. We bought a few more fragile things to get home as if we don't already have enough!. We hadn't eaten for an hour or so, we had a coffee and triedna traditional pastry ??? Translates into snowball. Bits of pastry formed into a ball and deep fried then sprinkled in icing sugar. There are different variations of it, but we stuck to the traditional one. The kids and Dave had a game of snow cricket in the town square, I was still in the shops. We started heading back to the train station and before we left the old town we decided to climb and walk the old town wall. We decided to keep walking and miss the next train. We eventually got back to the train station and had missed one by 10 minutes. The next one was at 6.10pm, a 50 minute wait. It was a cold wait. Our 3rd train we had to catch was delayed by an hour so we had to hop on another. It was a long trip home, picked up some pizzas from the supermarket at the railway station. Back at our apartment by 9pm. A long day but a good day.

    Photo 1 - Rothenburg ob der Tauber
    Photo 2 - In the town square while it's snowing. Camera captures a big snowflake.
    Photo 3 - Snow shower at lunch
    Photo 4 - Afternoon coffee
    Photo 5 - A backyard, kids play area
    Photo 6 - View from the wall
    Read more