Satellite
  • Day 14

    Four Legs Today

    December 27, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ -14 °C

    This morning we went on a 2hr winter horse ride. We had to catch our hotel shuttle down to the ski drop off to meet our shuttle. We were on the shuttle with a couple of guys we had talked to previously. They started talking about their Snowmobiling that they had done yesterday, but a different place. We talked about our experiences and had a laugh as one of the guys ended up in the soft snow as well. The other family on the shuttle was doing it tomorrow, don't know if the mum is looking forward to it now. We are now early for everything now, and was a lot colder today, plus it was snowing. We went and took shelter in the bus stop shelter which was heated. When booking our activities I made sure it was in different areas around Steamboat Springs. It was nearly an hour out to the ranch but the scenery was beautiful. They made sure we were warm enough, Brodie & I opted for their boots. They matched us up with horses, which took time as we were with our families then they match rider to horses and what horses are better together. Because Kellie rides she was matched with a horse who only likes females and someone who knows how to sit in a saddle. I think I had the biggest but the gentlest that's why she picked him for me. We had a few instructions on steering, stopping or if the horse gets spooked. I thought oh shit I have to control the horse, but once in line they just follow each other thank goodness. We went up, down and around mountains and the views were spectacular. About 1/2 way into the ride the sun came out, it added a bit of warmth and with the snow glistening in the sun, it was breathtaking. Along the way there were lots of different animal tracks. We didn't see any wildlife which was disappointing, but the same time I didn't want my horse to spook. Once again they mention bears, mountain lions, coyotes, elk & moose. At one part of the trail the pointed out bear claw scratch marks on the tree. One tree had fresh claw marks on it, I hoped the guide had a rifle under his big coat. It was too hard to take photos and we only stopped once. The last 1/2 of the ride my butt and hips had enough. Didn't know how my hips were going to unlock when it came time to hop off. The yards were a good sight even though I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. A cup of hot chocolate & a bickie on the shuttle back into Steamboat Springs. We all really enjoyed the ride, would I do it again YES. We caught our hotel shuttle back and had lunch. Then Kellie and I went into downtown to return a shirt and pick up few other things. We now worked out how to avoid walking up hill to our accommodation. Catch the bus to ski area then catch hotel shuttle. It was freezing at the Ski area then the wind picked up, it was chilling. Managed to find a bread that had a bit less sugar, so Vegemite and toast tasted good this morning. It was like finding a needle in a haystack. We are now eating mostly in our accommodation and it's a lot better.
    Another good day but a muscle sore from Snowmobiling and horse riding.
    Read more