Satellite
  • Day 1

    American Family Adventure

    June 24, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Just relaxing on the train from Glasgow to Leeds. It's the first stage of what seems like a major trip to the USA. my Australian niece is marrying her American man and the wedding is providing an opportunity for a family gathering.
    The plan is 3 nights in New York with Sue, Rob and Gill and by train up to Rhode Island where we meet up with Pete and Annette to stay in a rented house for a week, other family and friends will be in 2 other houses.
    Sue and Rob coming from Spain, me from Scotland, Gill from Leeds and Pete and Annette from Australia. Agreeing on all the logistics and bringing it all to fruition has made it feel like a major event. I am relieved to be on my way and no further planning required.
    It is no longer possible to open windows on trains so the Ribblehead photo is a bit grainy being taken through the window.
    What a wonderful journey this local train is through the Yorkshire Dales. I remembered from a previous trip the fabulous ice cream so I asked the trolley lady for one and she said she didn't have it on the evening run. Later in the journey she came and asked where I was getting off saying she would try and phone ahead and get an ice cream delivered to the train at Settle and what flavour did I want. I chose the black currant delighted at the care and service. Unfortunately she was unable to get a phone signal so I didn't get my ice cream but it didn't matter I enjoyed the fact that she tried.
    At each station I am moved by the people mainly parents seeing off their family. Much kissing and silently mouthing "I love you " as the train pulls out. There seems to be a lot of love on this line.
    Read more