Satellite
  • Day 52

    Jost van Dyke, BVI

    December 8, 2016 in British Virgin Islands ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Jost, yost, joast, yoast, host...whatever. Can we just call it JVD?

    With this destination barely visible on the horizon, newly self-appointed Captain Scott took control of the ship as we departed Anagada. To prove to us and himself, that he deserved his title, he would be making all of today's decisions on the boat.

    With a four to five hour sail up our sleeve, Jools and I were happy to sit back and let Scott do the work. But Scott had other ideas. Happily sitting at the helm, with the helm on auto pilot, and reading a novel, Scott had capitalised on his position. Jools and I were put to work, fulfilling all of Scotts 'commands' including baking him some bread. Now he knows the power of the Captain title, I suspect we'll be seeing him there more regulary. Unless of course, there's a mutiny.

    We spent the afternoon messing around on a tiny island off JVD. This include me getting buried in sand before being assaulted by an unusually large incoming wave, much to the hilarity of everybody around. Free diving practice took place followed by an early morning explore the next day.

    JVD was short lived by another battery failure in Great Harbour. We were very unhappy boys, considering we made a real effort to get them charged the previous day. Our spare battery was put to use, twice, and the second was warning enough to send her home and call an(other) electrician.

    Writing now from base camp, the fourth electrician has come and gone. Another comical character. After tearing the wiring apart, with an aura of confidence and a touch of blasphemy, he took to the altenator. A factor previously overlooked by his counterparts. Finding and fixing faults at every turn, he insisted he explained himself in every step, which left us confident in his works. Until he hailed good bye with a 'should be ok'...continue watching this space.
    Read more