Satellite
  • Day 95

    End of an Era

    January 20, 2017 in British Virgin Islands ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The time to say goodbye to our trusty stead is upon us. Looking back, here's how the numbers stacked up...

    Today marks 56 days on a boat. 55 consecutive nights in a rocky bed. Six of those were on moorings and three in a marina, making for 45 restless nights on our own tackle. No mean feat considering how easily one could succumb to the ease of a nearby mooring ball. All of which, I might add, were dropped inside Scott's free diving range (60 feet).

    We've been to 20 islands comprising three countries on three different boats, and dragged ourselves through customs countless times.

    We've swum on every day except one (Puerto Rico) and we've snorkelled far far further than we've walked in that time. I haven't done the math but I'm quite confident we've breathed more air underwater than on land, 42 collective dives equating to US $350 dollars worth of air. I guess that qualifies us as fish? We've windsurfed in every country, and repaired the sail at least half a dozen times. Between activities we've read 28 books collectively.

    Keeping the team full of energy was tough given the appetites on board but we've eaten like kings and queens. All meals cooked aboard save for four dinners ashore. We've caught and cooked crayfish and fish (and coconuts...never again) and baked dozens of loaves of bread, baguettes and even bagels. To the patisserie, we've indulged in brownie, biscuits, cake and scones, and made do with limited resources and a faulty three burner gas stove/oven. That there is $2700 worth of groceries.

    We've barely seen a car, let alone a traffic jam. Public transport has not featured, period. We've set two alarm clocks and only risen to one. I've done two loads of washing and the same number of shaves and a total of three hot showers in two months. Pressing a shirt is but a far far distant dream.

    We've swum the bluest waters, sailed the strongest winds, climbed the rockiest mast, lay on the whitest beaches and watched the most glorious sunsets. The elusive green flash, still just that. To no end we will miss this lifestyle. I guess you could say, we've been living the dream.

    We're back on Tortola for two nights (courtesy of Cat's cousin Patrick and his family), then St Thomas for one before flying out to Cuba on the 22nd. Ten days in Cuba then we hit Mexico where we hope to rendezvous with our unemployed compatriots, Mike and Char. Tally Hoe!

    Hope everyone had cracking Christmas breaks, sounds like NZ took a bit of a battering but there'll be plenty of summer left yet!
    Read more