Satellite
  • Day 109

    Cancun, Mexico

    February 3, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Food, glorious food!

    Getting to Mexico was better than sitting down to a sunday roast after a week on dehydrated rations. I was still recovering from an upset stomach, so I didn't have much of an appetite. That quickly changed when our new found gang of hombres stumbled across an open air food market. Guacamole, burritos, empanadas and tacos had never tasted so good! I think I'm going to like Mexico.

    Mike and Char are in good shape, they've spent the last week or so cruising through the Yucatan from Mexico City. Great to catch up after a good few years!

    Cancun was just how I imagined it. We stayed in a shady hostal in Cancun town, to avoid the extortionate prices of food, drink and accommodation that are found along the huge resorts and hotels which stretch along miles of white sandy beaches comprising the peninsular. All the major American brands are back in play, Starbucks as usual, the biggest culprit.

    We're enjoying spending the Mexican peso. At 16MXN to the AUD, a 10 peso bus ride wasn't enough to deter us from getting to the beach, nor from indulging in the bakery section of the supermarket for another delicious meal. Avocados for $1 per kilo, I'm in heaven!

    Cancun was a short stop. We're headed to Tulum by bus. Glad for a pit stop in civilization, but equally glad to leave it behind as soon as we did. Hasta la vista baby!
    Read more