Satellite
  • Day 160

    Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

    March 26, 2017 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Last stop Costa Rica.

    Puerto Viejo does not appear to be an 'old port' as it's name would indicate. It's a rasta town and nothing much happens here, not even for us. It's hot and muggy and the beaches are excellent. Accordingly, we passed our time exploring them by bike, hopping from one to another at a very leisurely pace, stopping only for smoothies, sloths, monkeys, turtoises...and a delicious french bakery. A shame that the caribbean is dead flat right now so all the usual surf breaks have nothing to offer.

    Cat continued mounting the injuries. It was surprisingly not the bike that caused the problem, but snorkelling of all activities. A reefy launch and exit point combined with some fairly powerful waves was a recipe for disaster - urchins in the feet on the way out and a grazed belly on the way in. Nothing but pure entertainment...and a spot of pain. And the snorkelling wasn't even that good!

    Lazy days have little news so I'll keep it brief. I will however leave you with my thoughts on Costa Rica, if they are justified on such a short visit...

    Costa Rica has been frustratingly expensive. Local beers (the number one indicator of an economy) setting us back about $2.50 in a bar which may sound cheap, but coming from $1 beers over the last few months, this country has definitely made attempts to hurt us in the pocket. Hence our speedy trip. It does quite often justify the expense; food is usually better quality, roads and transport are of western standards and German punctuality and the few activites we allowed were worth their money. It has undoubtedly world class beaches, rainforests, mountains and wildlife, making it a superb destination for the adventure lover (who has a little more cash than us!) Hopefully they aren't extorting tourists and choking the economy as that is certainly the opinion of some travelers and locals we met. Also, Costa Ricans take much better care of their country than their Central American neighbours to the north, especially with regard to rubbish - great to see that problem largely under control! We've had a taste and now we're moving right along...Panama here we come!
    Read more