Satellite
  • Day 349

    Machu Pichu

    April 20, 2018 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    On our first trip to Machu Pichu via the Inka Trail, Christy got sick (not sure if it was altitude or food) so we had not been able to explore the ruins thoroughly, which is why we’d always planned to return.
    Unfortunately, Cindy woke up feeling sick on our travel day (we think it was a combo of altitude and dehydration), but luckily she recovered completely overnight and was able to enjoy our two days at Machu Pichu. It was so fun to share visiting this incredibly beautiful and impressive site with Cindy – who had been wanting to visit for many years.
    Our first day, we hired a guide and got a good overview of the ruins in the morning. In the afternoon, we hiked up to the Sun Gate where The Inka Trail enters the Citadel. It was a beautiful walk, which we’re so glad we did - and luckily the weather cooperated and we had great views the entire way.
    On our second day, we hiked up to the top of Machu Pichu Mountain and also had good views the entire time. The hike was very challenging and scary with some sections having steep steps with sheer drops and no railings. Yikes! In the afternoon, we walked through the entire ruins again and tried to imprint the beauty and majesty of the place in our minds, which simply can’t be captured in photos.
    Read more