Satellite
  • Day 5

    Salem

    August 21, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    The ferry over to Salem from Boston takes about an hour and it was a good crossing, leaving Boston Harbour gave us some beautiful views of the Boston skyline. The crossing wasn't too choppy but had taken travel sickness just incase.... once the speed kicked up it did get cold though, wind swept hair etc.

    Once we got to Salem we jumped on the Hop On, Hop Off trolley that takes you around the village, we had an hilarious driver and guide, they had some really good banter. The first place we got off was the House of The 7 Gables to do the guided tour. Now I've never read the book so didn't know a lot about it but it was very interesting. We had a tour of the house and Captain Hawthorne's house too.

    Now there has been a lot mentioned since I got here about an Eclipse happening today which just so happened to include Boston, a once a hundred years opportunity. Anyone who knows me well my will know I love anything to do with space etc. As a surprise my friend had previously provided us with the Eclipse glasses so we stood outside after the tour in the gardens by the waters edge and watched. Now because of where we were it wasn't a full eclipse and didn't go dark etc but it was still pretty cool.

    We got back on the Salem trolley tour and stayed on and did the full loop while they pointed out interesting things ,we didn't have the same driver/guide combo so not quite as good but informative, included the guy who invented Monopoly lived on Salem and Alexander Graham Bell made the first phone call from there to The Boston Globe newspaper! We got off and had food at a seafood restaurant overlooking the water, food was really good and all the staff had quirky t-shirts on, 'want to see my mussels?' We walked back to the ferry port via the ice cream shop, obviously it would of been rude not to, I had M&M and chocolate flavour, yum.

    While waiting for the ferry, the last one of the day at 7pm, we chatted to 2 Irish girls who were also visiting Boston from Dublin but had done a lot of travelling to. The ferry back we sat inside due to the cold winds but the doors were open, the sun was setting and I managed to get some gorgeous photos again of the Boston skyline as we came back into port.

    We walked back through the shopping/market area, it was quite busy with people eating and drinking, a good atmosphere, before we got a taxi back to the hotel. We had a sit in the drinks area, look around the gift shop before heading up to our rooms. Ironically I managed to catch an episode of Mom that I'd missed at home from the most recent series, it's a US comedy show, which was great. The ITV Hub at home really is rubbish!

    Anyway it's been a long day but lots seen, let's see what tomorrow brings...

    Love & hugs
    x
    Read more