Satellite
  • Day 108

    106 Island adventures!

    July 5, 2018 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Thursday 05/07/2018 Put Danijela Tominica 11 , Lovran, 51415, Croatia

    Today is another adventure day, heading to the Island of Krk to find it’s delights!

    And there were delights that be found for sure! But before we headed there John had yet another appt with Macca on our way through Rijeka... and yes he was meeting again... they even do a great Americana which in Europe is a black coffee... then into the car and off we go... Krk has a massive Bridge like the Island if Pag.. ...the difference is a Pag had a view point to stop and look at the bridge but Krk doesn’t have one... it actually looks a lot higher than Pag’s if that’s possible...

    We made our way to the Township of a Krk... another beautiful old city that had been surrounded by a fortified wall as so many have in Croatia... also as most of the other ones they are either crumbling or have been ravaged by the locals for the own homes...
    Also like so many of the towns on the coastal areas, the ocean looks amazing to swim in, inviting you in with its unreal colour... the rocks everywhere for people to relax on... the bays that these areas are always in are just magical, the water so clam, great for kids..... not like our surf which is so dangerous...
    Everyone has a padded mat to sit on the beach, beach shoes to walk into the Rocky Waters edge, a blowup floaty, some little but many the bigger the better and cafe/bars everywhere that only sell drinks, they don’t they sell food just drinks!

    People everywhere laying all over the rocks...... always reminding me of Vimeo’s Seals on Rocks saying from our 2000 Cosmos trip.....one thing we have noticed 100’s I mean 100’s come out for swimming in late arvo... cars parked here, there and everywhere so you can get a spot to swim....

    Krk township was very quaint again with lots of little alleys,the obligatory Cathedral/ monastery in place! It had a fantastic lookout a really lovely community square, a harbour and lots of cute little shops and lovely looking restaurants... I could have spend ages looking around it, but we had to go after we had a bit to eat, from the kebab shop.... we had parked the car around off one of the bays a bit away from the township, so we had to head hack to the car again, via the bays... watching everyone all the ladies in their bikini’s

    Back into the car and off to Vrbnik, wow was this place unreal... like out a movie set also. They had a winery, sold honey like everywhere else..
    Yes a Cathedral, the narrowest alley in the world.... heaps of back packers here..unreal doors...restaurant perched on the edges of his over looking the ocean a far way below..again it could have been explored for ages, but we had to move on...the last 2 days of sightseeing have been really,really hot, you can feel the humidity building, surely there will be a storm to break it...

    On our way to Vbnik we passed a massive Marina and dry dock port..
    It was huge....very well set up that’s for sure... the other thing we passed was hundreds and hundreds of olive trees and grape vines... but wine industry here... I so wanted to buy a bottle but my currency advisor had a tight rain on the means... so no chances I am afraid...

    Back to the car and off to Silo, Silo’s beaches were totally different, they were flat and surrounded by marshy grasslands, sandy mud, areas with little streams going out to sea... Totally out of place compared to anywhere we have been in Croatia, again people every where! We drove to find a beach for a swim, but only found high stone walls everywhere... John did check out a spot but decided to bug a crawl back up the rock wall... but he said there were people everywhere down there, all swimming... so back into the car and off we set towards the bridge when John saw the sign to the caves, so,off we went to see them..

    However first we had to go through a little village that was nearly all out of white stone... looked unreal so ancient the way it’s been done...again we have had a day of complete surprises.... The cave we were sure if still open, but by now it was 5.30pm so I felt we should start back..

    Every place has something interesting to, offer and look at... we had looked everywhere to have a dip and as yet have’t found that quite little out if the way spot... then just as we’re about to come away from the place between the white rock village and Silo we found a perfect place..
    I was in 7th heaven as there was fairy statue growing wild everywhere... we couldn’t believe it would grow so close to the salt water..but it was... the swim was very,very refreshing for me cold frog that I am now... only down side was the cruiser boat parked near us and 2 ladies non stop giggling 🤭....but still a great way to finish our day off on The Island of Krk....

    So back over the bridge up the freeway, towards home, we headed....
    We have loved Croatia 🇭🇷 and Montenegro 🇲🇪 they have both been complete surprises , filled with heaps to see and do... as I have said before and will again if your a yachty Croatia has so much to offer... so much to see, nearly every little beachside village you can moor at get off your boat, go to restaurants, Cafe/Bars, wander the amazing little ancient villages.... you could spend a couple of years here justice checking out all the little ports up the coastline..

    My saying is about Croatia, they heaps of Marinas more than anywhere else in the world I have ever seen...more ATMs than I have ever seen, in so many of these little out if the way places there are ATMs every 50-100m especially in the busy tourists area, but still heaps in the not so busy tourist areas... and crazy drivers, no one sticks to the speed limit, everyone smokes and talks on the phone in the car even though the law says you can’t... there are speed limits but they are ignored, smoking is a right of passage to adulthood... and when your old and shrivelled up from all the smoking you still puff away... it’s full of motorbikes from countries all over Europe...
    it’s been an unreal time and experience.... some of the places we have stayed have been ho hum... others have been wow... all have been either slightly under or around the budget some have been just over..so I guess it’s even itself out pretty well...
    Read more