Satellite
  • Day 112

    Day 110 A Dragons Tale!

    July 9, 2018 in Slovenia ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Monday 09/07/2018 (Day 24 SZ). Alpska perla Apartments Gorenji Novaki 80, Cerkno, 5282, Slovenia

    Both a bit tired today feeling slow at getting going...the usual down load late again as we had such a late night after our huge day of travel yesterday....
    Today we are heading to the Slovenian capital, Ljubljana not as far as yesterday, but still a bit of a run... and of course the big drive down the mountain again, this time that silly women as I call her the Nav took us a different route down the mountain so it was actually nice to see a different view...than the one we have done 2 times now... always people parked off the sides of the roads either Bush walking 🚶‍♂️ or push biking 🚴‍♂️... good on them rather it be them than me...

    So we head down the mountain to a fairly populated area, passing through villages with huge industry in them... we had read in many of these countries the governments had a push for big comps to set up businesses outside the city areas, some the rural communities had industries to sustain them... from all the industry we have seen here we are pretty sure that’s what they are doing.... I know our government had played with the idea but to date nothing that I am aware of....

    I must say it does look odd these little tiny villages with huge industry sheds in their back yard.... but with so many villages so close together it means many of the workers aren’t just in one community or village they are spread out say 20-50ks even away from their place of work...

    We made it by about 11 and you guessed it Macca was on the Hwy heading in. So yep an important meeting had to be dealt with...then to find the centre and a park... fortunately it’s not a huge city and not too busy... in fact the busiest thing in the city, is the push bike 🚲 riders who nearly run over you or take right away where ever they are even with cars... we nearly took out about 3 or 4 riders who just flew across crossing without stopping or checking... scary as one guy John had to move the car quickly to the right or he would have been on John’s lap... they are so dangerous for others and themselves...

    All parked up off we set and as I said is not a big town so we could walk around.... firstly crossing the Dragon Bridge easily found a tourist info centre for a map 🗺 then off we set... the markets were next to the info centre, a look at them, heaps of goodies all of which I had to look 👀 not touch... then onto the triple Bridge it’s actually 3 bridges together built the first part in 1842 then the other 2 sections in 1931, it is the entrance to the old town... among the other sights we managed to find, were Franciscan Church, Central Markets, Butchers Bridge which was loaded with locks... John tried to figure out how heavy it was, just one section of locks and he couldn’t even lift it... makes you wonder the bridge doesn’t collapse under all the weight... Cathedral Church of St Nicolas, and the Castle which yes it was on top of another hill, and yes we had to yet again climb to the flamin top of it...John had planned to come up the Funicular but it was in a completely different area to where we ended up... so up, up, up, we went yet again... we did take the funicular back down and how much easier is it...again this Castle was set up with an art display of models so really stupid to come to see a Castle and be hit with this...we did get to see a display on Dragons, I guess it wasn’t too bad.

    This Castle like the last one was filled with restaurants, and more upmarket type restaurants in both castles, art displays not really worthy seeing, from my perspective not too much of the old stuff which I love to see... it did have an amazing stair case to the top of the tower which had unreal views over the city.... our lunch ended up in and under level restaurant, just outside our window was the river that goes through town.... we could have done a river boat cruise, but we have been only doing one thing in each town so making the wisest choice isn’t always easy.... if I’d have known just how many steps there were I wouldn’t have gone up the Castle, but I will admit that wanting to see the city views was my driving force...

    That was Ljubljana for us after coming down from the Castle, we had groceries to buy on our way home...and both very tired from our last few days....

    We stopped at Hufier which is Aldies here, they called it that in Serbia as well... stocked up on a few items, then hit the road...spotting 2 castles on the way home but no time to investigate...

    On our way home we had to call into Cerkno the name of the village our hotel room is connected to...John needed to sort out about dropping the key back... once there they once again, told us we still had to pay, we were sure we had. So John had to go back over all our bank statements to prove we had paid, for the apartment...a lot of tooing and frooing and eventually after the office account who by our very good fortune had stayed back to work late was able to sort it out..l but Booking.com had deposited the virtual money in their account they had to just authorise it... they to,scus they never had to do this before and we told them it’s always been paid for we don’t have to worry about it before.... glad we stayed back to sort it out it took about an hour to get sorted... we sat there having coffee to star with then a drink and watched. A bus load of tourist 60+++ getting off it, and the tour leader running around sorting out they keys etc... so glad we aren’t on a tour especially with this one only one younger person in the whole group...
    By now it is again after 7 pm and we have the mountain to climb... once we finally get there it’s reality that we are the only ones up here... if you were in a little cabin you would go oh well that’s what where are in, but this is a huge complex, with 6 apartments, a little freaky being here by ourselves.... but we are and I am sure it will go fine.....

    Fish, mashed potato 🥔 and salad... yes a good meal for a change..... then a movie and bed nearly a normal night... but what is normal hey?
    Read more