Satellite
  • Day 11

    Gilroy for the night

    September 14, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We’re awake and refreshed from our night stay in Gilroy! We couldn’t find further (affordable) accommodation last minute in Santa Cruz so we decided to stay one night in a hotel in Gilroy because camping wasn’t an option for Theo (who is just now recovering from a small fever).

    Fun fact: Gilroy is also known as Garlic city because they have garlic plantations/farms in the area so everrrrything smells so strongly of fresh garlic bread

    Today we drive to Carmel by the Sea and tomorrow we go to Monterey. We’re staying in an Airbnb in Salinas which is a 20min drive from those two places and much cheaper than staying in Monterey.

    I really enjoyed Santa Cruz. Being by the ocean is so relaxing and really helped lift my mood. Theo loves it too! Yesterday we drove to some forest with redwood trees but unfortunately didn’t get to explore because Theo had his fever and was not in a good mood. We gave him some medicine and decided to drive to capitola village instead. He seemed to be happy in Capitola village which was right by the ocean and full of bright colors and lively music. There was a wine festival on that we were unaware of so it was quite crowded, but not an issue for us.

    We looked at a lot of stalls of local art and a lot of it was VERY cool that it’s such a pity we can’t bring it all back to Germany.
    Read more