Satellite
  • Day 27

    CAPILLANO and back to Vancouver Airport

    June 20, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Last day! Ellie and Ross are off on a very early 'bear hunt' excursion. We are doing some final packing. We saw Els and Ross briefly before we left and they showed us some pics of a bear up a tree which definitely confirms you don't try to out climb a bear, this one was very high up.

    Last day in the mountains after almost 4 weeks of living with mountain views. We stopped for a few photos on the way down and a coffee at Britannia Beach which I thought was going to be a quiet little village on the sea but was next to a busy highway but the cafe and 'scoff' was ok.

    We arrived at Capilano (another place we had visited in the 80's trip). It is now much more commercialised, not just a bridge, and full of selfie sticks! We started off with a guided tour telling us of the history of the bridge, park and its owners (some were quite colourful!), this place has been thrilling travellers since 1889 and is yet another place that was originally 'owned' by First Nation people but never bought from them. The current owner's took over the park from her father and her son is now involved running the current enterprise. Our guide also showed us the totem pole park and explained that the tourist shop type totem poles are referred to as Hollywood totem poles as they don't represent the real thing.

    Next we crossed the bridge over 450 foot span along with many others (and selfie sticks!) then walked along the quieter boardwalk by the river and through the woods called Nature's Edge. We made one wild life spot - a snake. We then did the Treetop Adventure, selfie sticks multiplied at this point! We crossed back over the bridge and walked over the river on the Cliffwalk (I won't even mention selfie sticks at this point in case they take over!). We lunched in the Cliff House Restaurant which was much more civilised than the other options and had a pleasant shady terrace.

    We set off for the airport over Lion's Gate Bridge which we had sailed under just under 4 weeks ago. Tony drove and I navigated (skilfully even is I do say so myself!) through Stanley Park into downtown Vancouver and along Granville Street out to the airport. Car refuel, drop off and check in all went smoothly and then 'we were on our way' for the last time on this adventure!
    Read more