Satellite
  • Day 14

    Mostar day 2 - The sequel

    August 18, 2018 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    For our second day in Mostar we signed up for a day tour of some local sights outside the city. First stop was at Blagaj, a Muslim spiritual sufi-house that is several centuries old where people would come for deeper learnings on life and philosophies (and religion). The scenery was striking as the tiny village butted up against a massive cliff that hung out over the closer buildings. But much more eye-catching was the river that started right at the cliff face, which is a really bizarre sight for a river to start at a rock wall , which comes from an underground river below the towering cliff. Oh ya, the best part... Kristin had to wear some Muslim garb to enter haha.. she's not aware I'm posting her pic in it :)

    Second stop was at a Muslim medeival mountain side town (Pocitelj) mostly in ruins but still inhabited somehow. The people there survive selling figs and natural juices to passerbyers. Tour guide dropped us off at the top to find our way to the bottom. Wandered through the cobblestone paths and climbed to the top of a very structurally suspect tower and then had to escape the heat and find our way to the bottom.

    One more stop at a historically significant orthodox monastary and then on to gorgeous kravice falls which is not one large waterfall, but numerous veins that spread across an arching ushape area splashing down into pools below. It was especially fun because you can splash around in the pools and also climb up the rock cliffs to get near or under many of the cascading falls. It felt almost tropical like we were in Colombia and not what one might envision as a Bosnia locale. Bosnia by the way is impressibly scenic. Extremely mountainous and many rivers that all have a striking green-bluish color and clear waters. I'm not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it.

    Finished our day sharing a beer with our tour guide, and chilling out at famous black dog pub on the river and calling an early night so we're good for sarjevo tomorrow. Also had another yummy sharing platter with grilled meats and vegetables plus dolmas, stuffed peppers and onions. My God I wish we had stuff like this back home. So good and so affordable. Why are all our platters back home deep fried crap? Forget french cuisine and carb heavy italian, Balkans has it nailed! -SP
    Read more