Satellite
  • Day 19

    Luang Prabang - Day 1

    July 18, 2019 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 35 °C

    I will start with how last night ended. After supper i had a beer at a sleepy pub and when it shut down at 10 i started heading home. On the way, there was about 20 Lao having a huge feast near the street, and they were being a bit rowdy. My instincts drew me to walking by close to them, I smiled and said hi in passing. Next thing i know, they're scrambing to get me a chair, fixing me a plate of food and pouring me a beer. It was the dak lak wedding all over again. Everyone was obsessed with me, challenging me to chug beer after beer... and lots of laughs. Omg it was such a hilarious good time. I offered several times to pay for the beer i was drinking but that went no where fast. Not sure what time i stumbled out of there but it ended with hugs all around. Bit sad to leave nong khiaw as i think seeing them the next day would have been awesome.

    This morning took a VERY bumpy 4 hour bus ride to Luang Prabang. Felt really nauseous so checked into hotel and lay down for a few hours. I never want to take another bus ride in this country again. Blech.

    Walked around the old quarter popping in and out of a gazillion buddist temples and monestaries plus the royal palace. You can't throw a stone in this city without hitting 3 temples. They're everywhere. Crossed a ridiculously ricketty bamboo bridge that really had myself questioning that decision.. but it somehow held together. This city is immaculately clean and all the buildings have a similar look with white exterior and deep brown wood trim.

    Wanted to hit the night market tonight and check out some really interesting open air lounges but the skies really opened up tonight, so doing much of anything has been challenging. I was just thinking about how lucky i have been with rain lately, so this was overdue, especially this being rainy season. So found a quiet pub near my hotel and chatted with bartender for a couple hours and off to bed. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry...
    Read more