Satellite
  • Day 51

    Tanzania Day 11 - Serengeti

    September 14, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    5.45am start for the first day of safari! We travelled by taxi for about 2.5 hours from Arusha to Ngorongoro to meet our safari guide, the rest of our group and to have some breakfast.

    There are 5 in our Safari group (including us): Lee from Liverpool who is a travel encyclopedia - has visited 90 countries and has a bucket list of 50 travelling related things and is on number 48! The other 2 are a couple from Casablanca around our age who are a good laugh!

    We drove through the Ngorongoro crater to get to Serengeti. As soon as we entered Ngorongoro we saw some baboons - what a great start! Next we saw some giraffes, only a few feet from the jeep.

    At the Serengeti gate we took a group picture. Our guide gave his phone to 4 Masai girls to take the picture (it took a bit of explaining and a few tries hah)!

    We had a great run in Serengeti and saw so much wildlife: gazelles, ostriches, hippos, hyenas, vultures but the highlight was finding 3 sleeping lions, completely un-phased by our jeep which was only feet away!

    After an amazing day we reached our campsite for dinner. The staff put the tents up quicker than I e ever seen and we had a lovely dinner together with our guide Rocky. As he was telling us stories about tribal traditions a furry caterpillar wriggled across the table and he told us we'd be crying for days if we touch it (just what we wanted to hear before bed). He also briefed us on the noises we'd hear and which animals they were. Eeeekkk...
    Read more