Satellite
  • Day 52

    Tanzania Day 12 - Safari Serengeti

    September 15, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We survived our night camping in Serengeti!!

    We both slept surprisingly well and except for a few rustles outside our tent, had no problems on the animal front! Although we were told in the morning what we thought was buffalo making noise near our site was actually 2 Lions - they were obviously nice ones.

    We set off at 6am and caught the most amazing sunrise I've ever seen across the Serengeti Plane - it was a cold start to the day but that was soon forgotten once we started searching for, and easily found, every animal we could have wished to see....

    We started with a Lioness and adolescent Lion who were grazing together looking for a spot with some privacy... They strolled past us from a few feet away and it was brilliant!

    From there we searched a little more and came across one of only 4 black rhino's in serengeti - he strolled around us from a distance and we even needed to retreat slightly at one point as our guide recognised him and knew he had a temper!

    Afterwards following a tip from other guides we sped off in a particular route without knowing what to expect and when we arrived and saw one other safari Jeep and a Cheetah! From about 30ft away she approached our (open roofed) van and jumped up onto the boot! After scoping us out for a second she lay watching her surroundings seemingly oblivious to us being within touching distance! It was breathtaking to see such a beautiful wild animal that closely and also to know that we were only one wrong move away from being eaten!
    Read more