Satellite
  • Day 82

    Tanzania Day 42 - Kilimajuu

    October 15, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    The hotel owner Georgia recomended that we walk out to the sandbank at low tide and suggested some local guides take us to show us the way (and thank goodness she did!). They gave us some sticks to help with balance and made sure that we were wearing shoes because of the sea urchins (obviously they were bare foot because they're used to it!).

    It was incredible walking through what would be the ocean floor at high tide. Some parts were just sand and seaweed and some parts were pools of water (sometimes thigh deep). We saw star fish, sea cucumbers, clown fish, puffer fish and millions of sea urchins (I don't even think that's an exaggeration). Every step our gaze was focused on the floor and trying to avoid them. We were told that papaya draws out the spike if you stand on one but we're hoping that we wouldn't have to use that advice.

    We didn't reach the sandbank as we had to turn back because the tide was coming in but seeing all the ocean wildlife without even having to snorkel was the highlight for us.

    We spent the afternoon and evening relaxing and eating the fabulous Italian food at Zanzibar House. The owners are Italian and the menu contains lots of fresh pizza, freshly made pasta with good veggie options too.
    Read more