Satellite
  • Day 4

    Musee du Louvre

    April 17, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Let's be honest. We're not very cultured or knowledgeable when it comes to paintings but it would be a crime not to visit the Louvre. We quickly decided we liked the Louvre. It had heating. So hot that we needed to take our jacket and scarves off. Yep, we will stay here to defrost, thank you very much.

    So, what did we know about paintings? Not much, I'm afraid. We scanned the sections before our eyes caught a glimpse of something we recognised - Darth Vader. The original Darth Vader mask was on display. The exhibition tells of how modern day filmmakers, illustrators, sculptors, etc. draw inspiration from myths. Was Darth Vader inspired by Hercules?

    I wish we were more cultured. We decided we would go see the Mona Lisa. Unexpectedly, we ended up spell-bound by the paintings that line the corridors. We can't tell you the titles of the paintings but I think we might have started our Art Appreciation 101 class.

    There she was, perched on her own pedestal, in the middle of the room. I could just make out her face above the bobbing heads of tourists and selfie sticks. The Mona Lisa. It was like being in a room with a royalty.
    Read more