Satellite
  • Day 14

    Goodbye to the Katiliya Resort

    November 30, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Today we leave Chiang Rai and drive to Chaing Mai, our final stop before heading home.

    The resort is in the hills outside Chiang Rai which means that once we are dropped off, we are here for the night. The access road alone is 2 kms. The resort is surrounded by lush, beautiful gardens, mature trees and lots of water features. It is a typical tropical resort in that the only inside spaces are the rooms. Hallways, dining room, bar and lobby are open-air.

    There are 2 lovely pool areas. One unheated, the other a heated large jacuzzi and a children’s pool. The jacuzzi is the size of the average backyard pool at home.

    The most memorable feature however, will be the toads in the pool just outside the lobby. They are VERY loud and sound like a cross between an angry goose and a small dog. The front desk staff say the toads moved into the pool on their own and the noise drives them crazy (the toads croak from dusk to dawn). Sort of like an unwelcome relative who moves into your basement and refuses to leave! We came up with many creative solutions which respects the Buddhist proscription against killing. My favourite suggestion was a sign that said, "Free frogs".
    Read more