Satellite
  • Day 201

    12.03.2017 - Comuna 13, Medellin

    March 12, 2017 in Colombia ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    In Medellin, I visited Comuna 13, also called San Javier, an over-populated and low socio-economic zone that crawls up along the west hills of the city. Due to fact, that the tour I wanted to join is not running on Sundays, I decided to go there by myself even some people recommended dont go without tour. Lucky me, I met a local guy there, who offered to show me arround. He gave me lots of interesting and impressive information about this area.

    It was once the most dangerous and violent place of the world. In the 1980s and 1990s the area was controlled by armed groups loyal to PabloEscobar. For decades the neighborhood was torn apart by fights between guerrillas, gangs, military and paramilitary groups. In 2002, Operation Orion took place, a controversial event in which over 1000 policeman, soldiers and aircrew in helicopters struck the area to try to overthrow the rebel groups.

    Today, I walked through a space completely reinvented - safe, full of life, filled with street art and vibrating with music. An incredible transformation took place, triggered by local street artists and by an innovative public infrastructure project: the Escaleras_Electricas. A set of modern outdoor escalators, opened in 2011, replaced a long series of run-down stairs shortening travel time from the sea of little brick houses to the closest area of commerce from 36 min to 6 min. The Escaleras Electricas not only improved transportation, safety and commerce, but also attracted tourists and filled the local community with pride. As people started to come, more street art appeared on the walls and roofs. The local community got together to paint their homes in bright colors and to organize free english classes for the members of Comuna 13. A graffiti festival was recently organized attracting artists from all over the Latin America. An astonishing transformation is happening now and it was incredible to be there to observe it. Im glad that I went and visited the area even without tour.

    And surprisingly.. in the middle of Comuna 13 I came across with Talia and Tomask.. with whom I enjoyed and celebrated some nice Carnaval days in Baranquilla. What a nice (even it was quite short) reunion.😊
    Read more