Satellite
  • Day 9

    Fan Expo Day 2

    August 31, 2018 in Canada ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Another day of pop culture! I started with a panel featuring Robin Lord Taylor who plays The Penguin on the TV show, Gotham. I haven’t watched it for a while, but I like the whole Batman universe and have been meaning to get into this show. Robin was really great and he is so invested in the show and his character, which was cool to see. He mentioned they are currently about half-way shooting the final season, and he had been on the set just the day before arriving at the con.

    I also went to a panel with Karen Gillan whom I recently saw in the Jumanji remake where she was great. She’s also in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, playing a character in Guardians of the Galaxy and most recently in the latest Avengers movie, which is one of the highest grossing movies ever with over 2 billion dollars in earnings! She seemed very down to earth though and it was interesting to hear about her career. I got a photo op with her a short time after the panel.

    Another acress I got a photo with today is the amazing Evangeline Lilly. Best known as Kate on Lost, one of my fav shows. She was also in the new Ant Man film that I watched the other day. I also got an autograph from her, and a preview of a book she wrote recently. I look forward to her panel tomorrow!

    Speaking of panels, my second day at Fan Expo concluded with “An Evening with the cast of Back To The Future”. It featured the four main cast members: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson and Biff himself, Thomas F. Wilson. I’ve met all of them before but it’s the first time I’ve seen all of them together. I think it’s only the second time they have all reunited at a con (the first was a few weeks ago in Boston for a different Fan Expo). Anyway, the panel was great. I’ve always loved those movies so it’s quite special to sit a few feet from the cast members as they talk about their experiences working on them over 30 years ago. Especially Lea became emotional talking about the love and appreciation they get from fans all these years later.

    After the panel (which was a bit on the short side unfortunately), I had a very nice dinner at a local steak house.
    Read more