Satellite
  • Day 10

    Fan Expo Day 3

    September 1, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Long day! I went to the convention around the time the doors opened. Apparently some 130,000 people visit this convention over the weekend, and Saturday is the busiest day, so it was very crowded indeed!

    I did manage to get into my first panel of the day with the lovely Lea Thompson. She’s had a long career in film and TV, although today she is mainly directing. It was interesting to learn more about her career, and of course hear some stories from Back To The Future where she was Marty’s mom Lorraine.

    Another panel that I wanted to see was with the legendary William Shatner. Sadly it was at the same time as the Lea one. Tough choice. I did meet Shatner for a quick autograph a little later though. Of course, most people know him as Captain Kirk from Star Trek. I’m more a Boston Legal fan though, where he played one of the leads.

    I was also at a panel with the aforementioned Evangeline Lilly. She was mostly here to promote her book, so they talked a lot about that. But there were a few moments about Lost and Ant-Man too.

    The highlight of the day, or the whole trip rather, was a photo with the cast of Back To The Future. As mentioned it’s only the second time the four main cast members have reunited in almost thirty years, and who knows when it may happen again. It was definitely a once in a lifetime moment, and it was over in seconds! But I’m happy with the photo and the very unique experience.

    Later, I attended a screening of the first episode of the Charmed reboot. It doesn’t air anywhere until mid-October, I believe. It was okay, but I think I will stick with the original (starring Shannen Doherty and Holly Marie Combs - both of whom I saw last week!)

    They also showed a clip of the upcoming season of Supergirl, and a peak at Legacies - the next chapter following The Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

    After walking the main show floor for a while, I went to “Emily Strikes Back” - a live play about fandom. It was actually not bad, and had an amusing ending.

    A long day was capped with an amazing dinner at Montecito, a popular restaurant in the entertainment district. Last day of the trip tomorrow! 😩
    Read more