Satellite
  • Day 6

    New York Day #2

    October 15, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    My first full day in New York City. Well, I've been to NYC a number of times before. This is probably my tenth visit or so. It's one of my favorite places to visit, so it's great to be back :)

    I didn't really have any specific plans for this day, so I ended up going to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum not too far from my hotel. This is a fascinating place, hosting a submarine, a retired Concorde plane, and a huge aircraft carrier/navy ship that has a number of exhibits, including a retired Space Shuttle!

    I've obviously never flown a Concorde (tickets used to cost as much as ten grand for a roundtrip flight between NYC and London) so it was fun to see one of them inside, and get a tour of the cockpit as well.

    I also saw the inside of a submarine used during the cold war, and of course the massive aircraft carrier Intrepid.

    There was also a number of aircraft on display, and an exhibition featuring an actual NASA Space Shuttle - the Enterprise (yes, named after Star Trek).

    Definitely an interesting experience - and one I haven't visited in NYC before.

    Later in the day, I went for a walk around Midtown New York, including a walk through the beautiful Central Park, and visiting some of the popular locations in Manhattan, such as 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and Columbus Circle. While I've visited all those places a number of times before, it's always a great time.

    I had lunch from the infamous "soup nazi" of Seinfeld fame. In reality, the service is great and the soup is delicious.

    After walking some 20,000 steps around central Manhattan, I went back to my hotel briefly, and then visited a nearby Broadway theatre to see a play called Betrayal. Starring Tom Hiddleston and Charlie Cox (both of Marvel fame) the play was a very bare-bones experience with a basic set, and just the actors on stage. It was not a bad play by any means, but not super impressive either.

    Following my time on Broadway, I had dinner at a lovely restaurant close to the hotel.
    Read more