Satellite
  • Day 7

    New York Day #3

    October 16, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Another exciting day in the Big Apple! (And another 20,000 steps walked).

    This morning I decided to go for a long walk, from the Times Square West area on 42nd street all the way Downtown to Ground Zero.

    It was quite a nice walk where I passed by a number of attractions, such as Macy’s, The Empire State Building, the Flatiron Building and several of the smaller parks, like Washington Square Park with the famous arch.

    Eventually I arrived at Ground Zero where the new Freedom Tower stands (One World Trade Center), the tallest building in the US. Now known as The World Trade Center site, this is of course the place where the twin towers once stood.

    On the same site, they have opened the National September 11 Museum which I visited for the first time. It was very interesting, and fascinating to see debris, and a number of things recovered from the site. There was a huge exhibit inside that told the story of what happened on 9/11, second by second. And all of the aftermath.

    Definitely a sobering and interesting experience.

    After visiting the museum, I stopped by “The Oculus”, or rather the Westfield shopping center that is the centerpiece of it.

    I then took the subway back uptown and found an Olive Garden restaurant where I had some lovely Italian food.

    After the food, I went to see New York’s version of the Tussaud’s wax museum. I’ve been before, but they do rotate the exhibits so it’s never the same. It was definitely fun to see that museum again 👍

    It has been raining pretty heavily in the city today so I went back to the hotel to spend a little time before heading back out again.

    I eventually boarded a bus headed for a concert in Englewood, New Jersey of all places where I went to see Toto live once again! Funnily I think it was also in the New York area I saw them last time.

    It’s been over 20 years since I first saw Toto live, but it’s still a great experience, and the setlist offers selections from a career spanning more than four decades. Great live show!

    After Toto, I went back to Manhattan and finished my day in the hotel.
    Read more