Satellite
  • Day 47

    Gerês

    May 28, 2021 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    And so we wanted to do a bigger hike today, but also to enjoy the stops on the way.

    From the landscape in this rocky highland, whose huge boulders of granite, so shapely, could almost seem like sculpted art... and the wild flowers in all colours and textures... and then the olive oak cork birch and all the trees, such old trees up on top of these hills, growing in over and around these massive boulders, some with fountains coming out...fit for faeries!

    But of course every magic adventure needs some magic pools of wisdom and water....so there were also many a waterfall. Waterfalls and streams and clear water! Drinking water, that flows as though from nowhere to there now where you walk and the fountains that pop up here there and everywhere. Are we in Switzerland? .....well, maybe because there were also cows, oh the cows some as big as buffalos... Beautiful rusty brown colouring with big horns and soft fur, dingling bells and a happy demeanour (but who wouldn’t if this was your home/place of work right?)

    This is Northern Portugal, and their one National Park and from this first short impression this place is magic. We’ll be back. Oh we will!
    Read more