Satellite
  • Day 2

    Prague

    September 12, 2021 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    This is an initial post about an extraordinary city that people fall in love with, and I can say rightfully so. This is the 1st post of what will be many and will serve as an introduction and a place to capture a few points that don't fit in categories.
    The 1st picture looks over the city from the castle grounds. The 2nd picture looks across the Vlatava River that runs through Prague. The building is an aristocratic palace with the castle above and behind. The castle and all surrounding buildings are government offices now.
    Vlatava means "wild river "in Czech and the 3rd shows part of the reason. The wall markings are flood levels reached by the river. The most recent is 2002, and that is waaay over my head. The 4th picture is of a canal and waterwheel adjacent to the river that powered an old mill.
    The 5th picture is of the John Lennon wall. This is a wall of the embassy of Malta. So the communist secret police couldn't take permanent action. So every time they whitewashed it, someone would replace the picture overnight.
    The last picture is of what is said to be the 1st building built (1912) using cubist architecture. It is called the Black Madonna" building due to the stature found on site and preserved in the protective structure on the right front corner on the 1st floor. Remember that in most of the world, the 1st floor is the 1st above the ground floor.
    Read more