Satellite
  • Day 13

    Katedrala svetog Jakova

    October 13, 2021 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    The cathedral of St. James is the most significant example of renaissance architecture in Croatia. The cathedral dates to the 13th century and was a Romanesque church. Beginning in the 15th century and into the 16th, it was enlarged and remodeled to become what we see today.
    In case you're wondering why the name in Croatian seems to say Jacob and in English, James: in a number of language's they are the same name. In addition to Croatian, that includes Biblical Greek and Hebrew.
    The 1st picture is of the western or main entry and facade. Note the statues of the 12 apostles that surround the door.
    The 2nd picture is the north or lion portal named for the 2 Lions either side of the door. Above the lions are Adam and Eve. Here Eve has a navel rather than being created from Adam's rib. Also note the Renaissance dome. This is an early use of an octagonal drum for the transition from square base to round dome, and is considered a great accomplishment of Renaissance architecture.
    By the way, if you Game of Thrones fans find this familiar, the facade of the cathedral is the Iron Bank.
    The 3rd picture is of the modern bronze doors in the main entrance. The 4th picture is the nave and the 5th picture is one of the side chapels off the nave, this one dedicated to St. Christopher.
    The last picture is of the baptistery. Note the scallop shell above. (There is a series of identical shells all around the ceiling.) The scallop is the symbol for St. James.
    Read more