Satellite
  • Day 13

    Beirut

    December 3, 2021 in Lebanon ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Lebanon's largest city and capital is, like most cities in this region, a former important Phoenician city and port. It has been inhabited for at least 5,000 years, and had been known as the Paris of the Middle East.
    In recent years the history had been far more tragic, from 15 years of civil war to the bombing of the marine barracks to the explosion at the port just a few months ago. Yet even with all that, it is still a lovely city in a beautiful and safe country. I can continue to say that have not felt threatened or unsafe anywhere in my travels.
    The 1st picture is St. George's Maronite Cathedral that dates to the late 19th century. It is based on Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. While there, I heard the afternoon Muslim call to prayer. The 2nd picture is taken from the door of St. George's, looking at the mosque next door. This is Lebanon today: Muslim, Christian, Druze and even a small population of Jewish people living together. I love it.
    The mosque was financed by Rafik Hariri before he was assassinated and then completed by his son.
    The 3rd picture is Martyrs' Square, the central square of Beirut. It is named for those killed by the Ottomans in world war 1.
    The 4th picture is the I love Beirut sign with an ancient Muslim prayer hall in the background.
    The 5th picture is Pigeon Rocks, a well known formation located at the western extreme of the peninsula Beirut is located on. The picture is taken from the corniche, the very beautiful seaside walk. One legend says that these rocks are the remains of the sea monster Perseus killed to saved Andromeda.
    The 6th picture is a glance at the devastation resulting from the explosion on 4 August. This was taken from the road along the coast and doesn't capture the damage across the road. I admit, it's ugly.
    In spite of all that, Beirut remains a vibrant city. Like all of Lebanon, it is worth a visit
    Read more