Satellite
  • Day 19

    Tel Aviv 1: At the Med

    February 20, 2022 in Israel ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Tel Aviv is the 2nd largest city in Israel, after Jerusalem (when East Jerusalem is in included in the total). It is the economic and technological capital of the country. The name is officially Tel Aviv-Yafo. After the old city of Jaffa (see another post) was incorporated into Tel Aviv, the Hebrew rendering of Jaffa (Yafo) was included in the name.
    Tel Aviv is located on the Mediterranean coast. It is a new city, especially by the standards of this part of the world, having been founded in 1909 outside Jaffa. Today, Tel Aviv is a thriving, energetic, creative city.
    Given that TA is situated on the Mediterranean, it seems good to start there. Most of the seafront is beach with an adjacent esplanade. Even in February, there is activity along the water. The 1st 3 pictures are taken along the beach and capture a bit of the waterfront skyline.
    The 4th and 5th pictures are of the same sunset taken a few minutes apart. The orange sun went behind a cloud bank. When it reappeared below the clouds, the sun was deep red. This is the 1st time I've seen such a dramatic color change like this.
    There are some areas that aren't beachfront. One of those is the Tel Aviv marina in the last picture. This is a bit north of where the other picture were taken. A bit further north yet is the commercial port.
    Read more