Satellite
  • Day 28

    Lisbon

    May 21, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    The capital of Portugal and its largest city, Lisbon is not only the westernmost capital city in Europe, it is one of the oldest, second only to Athens. This place has been occupied since prehistoric times, and, like most of Iberia, it has seen waves of Celts, Phoenicians, Romans, Visigoths, Moors, Vikings, and the reconquest bringing Christian rulers. Most of the voyages of the Portuguese age of discovery began here (see the Belem post).
    Perhaps the most significant event in Lisbon's history is the earthquake on 1 November 1755. Up to 40,000 people died, and about 85% of the buildings were destroyed. Therefore, most of what is here is more recent as the leadership decided to demolish what remained and rebuild the city along the then current urban planning ideas.
    The 1st picture is wall art that celebrates much of Lisbon's culture. Not surprisingly, it is in an entertainment district. The 2nd picture is nearby at the Praça Luís de Camões. Camões, who lived in the 16th century, is considered Portugal's greatest poet. Just down the street is the 3rd picture. This is said to be the oldest operating bookstore in the world.
    The 4th picture is what is left of a church after the 1755 earthquake. They started to rebuild, but found that it would be too difficult. Today it is an archaeological museum. The museum sits atop one of Lisbon's 7 hills. (I'm told that there are actually 8, but 7 sounds better.) Many of the hills are steep. So Lisbon has built many funiculars, lifts, etc. The 5th picture is the Santa Justa lift built by one of Gustav Eiffel's disciples. The 6th picture looks across the city from stop the lift. The 7th picture, taken from the same place is St. George's fortress.
    The 8th picture is near the foot of the Santa Justa lift and is the Rossio train station (formerly Central Station), a good example of Neo-Manueline design. The station is located at Rossio Square which is in the 9th picture. The square is officially known as Praça Dom Pedro IV, and that's the guy in the statue atop the column. In the background is the Donna Maria II national theater.
    The last picture is Arco de Rúa Augusta that provides a monumental entry to the commerce square on the river front. The statue visible is King José I.
    Read more