Satellite
  • Day 28

    More Lisbon

    May 21, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    I just couldn't do justice to Lisbon in a single post. So here are some more images.
    The oldest neighborhood in Lisbon is the Alfama. This is the neighborhood least affected by the 1755 earthquake, and was not significantly rebuilt. This is where you can see what old Lisbon looked like. The 1st 4 pictures are all Alfama. 1st is a look over the neighborhood of hilly, twisting, colorful streets. Then a couple streets and a small plaza typical of Alfama. The patron saint of Lisbon is Saint Anthony whose day is 13 June. (NB, St. Anthony of Lisbon and St. Anthony of Padua are the same guy.) I'm told that the celebration here runs for the whole month. The decorations in the pictures are now being put up for that celebration. Unfortunately, I leave the day before it all begins.
    The 5th picture is the Casa de Bicos which means house of spikes, named for its unusual facade. The house that dates to the 16th century, is in the Alfama, and survived the earthquake. Today it's the headquarters of the José Saramago Foundation. Saramago, who was the 1998 Nobel Laureate in Literature, established the foundation.
    Lisbon has a number of "color" streets that are dining and entertainment streets. The 6th picture is the blue street.
    Lisbon has some incredible street art. The last picture is one example in the Graça neighborhood not far from where I was staying.
    Read more