Satellite
  • Day 41

    Camino 5 Santa Domingo to Burgos

    July 7, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Our longest day at 71km, is also a pretty hilly one, yet one of our favourite days.
    Our lovely host prepared an extensive breakfast early for us, so we could be out the door and on the road by 7am in a bid to get our km done as early as possible.
    Much as we wanted to stop and indulge in second breakfast at a shady cafe in a gorgeous village, with music drifting out, we press on to get our first climb out the way.
    It goes on a while, it's hot and there are a LOT of flies, but at least it's followed by a downhill into a tiny town and lunch.
    We feel like we've made good headway but the afternoon climb is harder still, with some of the track too bony to even attempt, and the heat pressing down on us. We're kind of enjoying it though, and in great moods. A lovely, shady spot provides a welcome break, before we indulge in a spectacular and rideable descent down towards Burgos.
    Not a promising-looking city, with an ugly, industrial, long and busy entry, but round the final corner is our hotel, on the brink of the gorgeous and traffic-free old city.
    A night of sangria and tapas rewards our long, hot and fun day's riding!
    Read more