Satellite
  • Day 3

    ICONSIAM

    January 16, 2020 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Yep, we went to a mall. Seemed like a chill, relaxed thing to do that didn't require any thinking. Didn't find any cute dresses that would be suitable for visiting temples (which require you to dress modestly and cover up your shoulders and knees), but it did have an amazing section with stuff made by local artisans, such as jewelry, pottery, glassware, beauty products and household decor. The bottom floor was an incredible replica of a night market and there was so much "street food". One of the upper floors had an incredible range of restaurants, all with delicious sounding dishes. If I hadn't been full from breakfast, the hardest thing would have been deciding what to eat! Stopped for a drink at Fallabella, to rest, relax and enioy the view. Overcast and smoggy and surprisingly bright, and then the sun came out and it got REALLY bright and hot very quickly. Still operating off little sleep, so it was time to go back to the hotel for a siesta before the street food tour tonight.

    We also learned that it was cheaper to pay the taxi by meter instead of a flat rate (75THB vs 200THB), and even though we were paying by meter, he still wanted cash upfront. (Which we definitely didn't do. How were we supposed to know how much to pay when we hadn't reached our destination?) He turned out to be pretty nice and taught us that a woman says khob kun ka, which means thank you, and a man says khob kun krub.
    Read more