Satellite
  • Day 9

    Cruisin'

    July 9, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Our day started with hustling to Pier 83 in hopes of getting on the 10:30 Liberty Cruise. Luckily, we were able to use our Go Card to get tickets and get right on the boat! The cruise took us out to see the Statue of Liberty, but we also got to see a great view of New York and Jersey! We got up quite close to Lady Liberty, which is a way better view than going up the Statue. It was a quick hour ride, but Evan was pleased to have seen the iconic landmark.

    Once we docked, we took the bus to Grand Central Station to see it and have lunch. Traffic was crazy, so our bus ride was pretty slow, and Evan ended up losing his sunglasses on the bus, but we arrived at the Station in the end. We ate at the Great Northern Food Hall, which was opened by one of the original partners of Noma (the famous Danish restaurant). The theme was decidedly Danish/Nordic food. We had three different smorgesbord (open face sandwiches): egg and shrimp, roast beef and horseradish; chicken salad with celeriac. Evan really wanted the hay-smoked leek and potato soup, so he ate that.

    Bellies full, we walked along 5th Avenue and popped into a few stores before going on to the MoMA. We spent several hours checking out the modern art collection. There were many highlights including seeing Starry Night! We also saw many Picassos, Monets, and Pollocks.

    By this time it was almost 5 and we had to hustle in order to take the subway to our dinner reservation. Luckily we arrived with time to spare and just in time to see the chef, Enrique Olivera, walk by! Cosme was named the 40th best restaurant in the world this year and is known for its Mexican cuisine. We started with cobia al pastor (fish that has been marinated in pineapple) and tamales that came in a red sauce. Then we had a mole with special smoky tortillas, and the showstopper - duck carnitas! It came out as half a boneless, roasted duck with watermelon radishes, onions, and cilantro. It was also accompanied by tortillas and salsas. It was heavenly!

    After supper, we started to make our way to the Brooklyn Bridge, with a quick stop in the East Village at Big Gay Ice Cream. Evan had the Rocky Roadhouse and Brad and I shared Monday Sundae (which came in a Nutella smeared waffle cone). We walked back to the subway only to find out that there were major line delays. It was getting late, so we decided to just catch the express line home and see the bridge tomorrow.
    Read more